- 13 July 2020
- Transport / Logistics Services
In order to meet its sustainability goals, Delivery Hero has acquired minority positions in companies that address the environmental challenges that the company – and wider industry – face.
One core goal of Delivery Hero has been to make its European operations fully carbon neutral from January this year and its global operations fully carbon neutral by the end of 2021.
Jeffrey Oatham, Director of CSR and Sustainability at Delivery Hero, said: “At Delivery Hero, we accept the responsibility to become a more sustainable business. We invest in sustainability because we care: about our employees, partners, customers, the communities we operate in, and the environment. One way we can do this is to support new innovations that replace polluting products within the food delivery value chain. Our minority positions in these sustainable companies support the disruptive solutions this planet needs.”
In order to get to grips with these challenges, Delivery Hero has acquired minority positions in the food and delivery industry. It has done whit with four companies to date:
– BIO-LUTIONS (Hamburg, Germany) Develops and produces eco-friendly, biodegradable packaging from local agricultural byproducts, as a solution for fighting plastic waste.
– JUST (San Francisco, USA) A leading food technology business that develops plant-based food products for a healthier, more accessible food system.
– Wisefood (Munich, Germany) Offers an innovative and edible alternative to the plastic straw made from cereals, apple fibre, stevia and citric acid.
– Impossible Foods (California, USA) Produces plant-based substitutes for meat products, to counter negative health and environmental impact of meat production.
Josh Tetrick, Co-Founder & CEO at JUST: “We believe being unconventional and standing apart is necessary, for the planet and the people who live on it. Our partnership with the innovative team at Delivery Hero is emblematic of thinking anew about how to make our food system more just.”
David Lee, Chief Financial Officer at Impossible Foods said: “9 out of 10 of the consumers of Impossible Foods are meat-eaters who don’t want to compromise anymore to enjoy the meat they crave. We accomplish this through technology and R&D. Delivery Hero is a global innovator in the food industry, and we are proud to partner with them.”