Ocado fire investigation shows battery charger fault

Ocado has revealed that its recent fire at Andover was caused by an electrical fault in a battery charging unit. This caused the lid top of a grocery carrying robot to catch fire and this spread across the facility.

According to the company it has taken steps to eliminate future risks of this kind, that includes new smoke detectors near the charging units as well as removing the plastic lids on the robots.

Ocado said: “This lid serves no practical purpose and its removal has not impacted the efficiency of the bots in any way. The company also intends to add heat sensors in the ambient product storage grid which are in addition to the existing sensors in the chilled storage grid.”

Alluding to its interests in other companies, Ocado made it plain that the fault was only in a first generation battery charger that was only ever used at the Andover customer fulfilment centre (CFC3) and no other.

Ocado emphasised that the fault was in a first generation battery charger, which was only used in at the Andover site (CFC 3) and not any other.

Share

Comments are closed.