About Indonesia Parcels Market: Market Insight Report 2018
Background to the report
The reports set out the market structure, size, growth, key trends, competitive landscape and forecasts for the Indonesia parcels market.
It contains the Indonesia chapter plus additional information drawn from our report: South East Asia Parcels Market: Market Insight Report 2018
About South East Asia Parcels Market: Market Insight Report 2018
Background to the report
South East Asia is a rapidly-developing region with a large and growing population which lies at the centre of key global trading routes.
– As it has become wealthier and infrastructure has improved, online retail has become increasingly important.
– The countries covered in this report have a combined population of 650m and GDP of US$2.7tn.
The markets vary in level of economic development, from wealthy Singapore, with one of the highest global GDP per capita figures, to the emerging economies of Philippines and Vietnam.
Key enabling factors such as quality of transport infrastructure, level of online retail, use of payment systems and availability of broadband also vary significantly.
– The island nations of Indonesia and the Philippines face particular transport challenges which increase logistics costs and complexity.
The markets are served by a combination of
– National post offices (eg SingPost, Post Indonesia)
– Privately owned domestic carriers (GD Express, RPX, JNE, SkyNet, Yamato, Kerry Express, Ninja Van – in which DPD recently took a stake)
– In-house delivery operations of retailers (e.g. Lazada Express)
– Start-up last mile delivery operators (Lalamove, Go-Jek, Honestbee)
– The integrators (UPS, FedEx and DHL)
There are several regional carriers with domestic networks in several countries. Examples include Yamato, which has recently entered Singapore, Vietnam, Thailand and Malaysia, and NinjaVan, which has delivery operations in most countries in the region.
The main focus of the integrators is on international express. However, DHL has entered several domestic markets.
What does it contain?
The report covers the parcels markets in the six leading countries in the region (Indonesia, Thailand, Philippines, Malaysia, Singapore and Vietnam). Together they account for 96% of regional GDP and 88% of the population.
The report includes:
– Description of each parcels market and the key trends which are shaping it including the country’s transport infrastructure and the growth of online retail
– Review of the range of carriers operating in each country, focusing on their positioning, services, coverage and, where available, performance information.
– Summary of the activity of the integrators (UPS, FedEx, DHL) in each country
– Review of market context which identifies the leading retailers and marketplaces in each country
– Historical and forecast market size and growth covering the period from 2012-2022
– Analysis of drivers of market growth
What are the sources and methodology?
This report is based on:
– Extensive desk research on the parcels markets and its operators covering company accounts, websites, official statistics and a wide range of other sources
– Published information on key market drivers such as economic data and estimates of online retail spending
– Insights from our consulting work in the region
Information from these sources has been synthesised and presented clearly and concisely with extensive use of charts and tables to illuminate points and support conclusions
Who Is it intended for?
Owners and operators of parcel networks both in the region and elsewhere
Customers of those carriers, in particular, retailers who sell via the internet
Investors in these businesses
Market regulators and policymakers
Banks, analysts, consultants and other parties with interests in the sector