About this report
NB this is an old report which we have not updated in the last couple of years. Let us know if you would be interested in a new version.
What does it contain?
This market report reviews the provision of outsourced security guarding services in the UK.
We quantify the market size, historical growth rates, segmentation patterns and levels of industry profitability while reviewing key factors behind these figures.
We also carry out an in-depth analysis of the relevant drivers of industry growth – in particular trends in prisons and policing, air travel, retailing and development / deployment of CCTV and other security technologies – setting out historical trends and available forecasts.
Our forecast for industry growth by segment is based on this analysis of historical trends and our understanding of growth drivers.
What are the objectives of this report?
The security industry has been touched by several important trends, some of which are important across business services markets with others being related to even broader trends. These include:
– Growth of integrated FM contracts
– Application of new technology and consequent reengineering of services
– Government spending cuts and outsourcing of services to achieve savings
– Increase in levels of security in airports and other sensitive locations
– Growth of internet retailing
In assessing the prospects of the market, it is important to think through what each of these trends means for the security industry and see how, and by how much, it may change in the light of them. That is the main objective of this report.
Who is it intended for?
– Security service providers
– Manufacturers of security equipment
– Purchasers of security
– Facilities management groups
– Governments and regulatory bodies
What are the sources and methodology?
This report is based on:
– Financial analysis of the accounts of companies in the industry
– Interviews with senior-level contacts in the market
– Extensive research into published industry sources
– In-depth analysis of the macroeconomic environment and relevant market drivers
– Our own experience of advising both companies and investors in security businesses and other business services areas.
Information from these sources has been synthesised and presented clearly and concisely with extensive use of charts and tables to illuminate points and support conclusions.
The UK security market – 7
– Market definition
Market size and growth – 9
Market drivers – 10
– Discussion of drivers
– Drivers and their impact
Market trends – 24
– Bundling and IFM packages
– CCTV / electronic security
Competitive landscape – 26
– Comparison of leading companies
Forecasts – 48
– Key drivers forecast
– Security market forecast
– Risks to the forecast
Appendix – 57
List of figures (UK Outsourced Security Guarding Services Market Report 2015)
1. Market size / £m
2. Historical UK GDP in current prices, inflation (GDP deflator) and real GDP / % annual changes.
3. UK Inflation: Consumer price index and GDP deflator / % annual change
4. UK Household disposable income and retail sales / % annual change
5. Internet sales: value and as % of all retailing / £bn, %
6. No. of total crime (millions) & property crime incidents
7. Perception of crime / % saying there is more crime than two years ago: nationally vs in local area
8. UK airline passengers / m
9. Airport security spend / £m
10. Value of outsourced prison contracts / £m
11. Prison population in England and Wales / ‘000
12. Prison population as % of total population by country
13. Cost per prisoner, per year (most recent year) / £
14. Number of police officers in England Wales / ‘000
15. Minimum wage / £
16. Security companies revenue (most recent year) / % of total market
17. Leading operator’s historical revenue trend and market growth / %
18. Number of ACS approved companies
19. Pre-tax profit margins (most recent year) / %
20. Leading operators pre-tax profit / %
21. Revenue per employee (most recent year) / £’000
22. G4S summary financials
23. Securitas Security Service (UK) Limited summary financials
24. MITIE Total Security Management UK summary financials
25. Vision Security Group Limited summary financials
26. Advance Security UK Limited summary financials
27. Corps of Commissionaires Management Limited summary financials
28. The Shield Guarding Company Limited summary financials
29. TSS Total Security Services Limited summary financials
30. Ultimate Security Services Limited summary financials
31. Axis Security Service Limited summary financials
32. First Security (Guards) Limited summary financials
33. Carlisle Security Services Limited summary financials
34. CIS Security Services Limited summary financials
35. Kingdom Security Limited summary financials
36. UK GDP forecasts in current prices (money GDP), inflation (CPI) and real GDP / % annual changes – Historical and forecast
37. UK population growth: historical and forecast / millions
38. UK Consumer Price Index and GDP deflator / % annual change. Historical and OBR Autumn 2011 forecast
39. UK household disposable income and retail sales / % annual change . Historical and OBR Autumn 2014 forecast
40. Forecast value of outsourced prison contracts / £m
41. Number of police officers in England Wales forecast / ‘000
42. Airport passenger numbers forecast / million
43. Market size forecast / £m