Published: March 2013
Price: [restrict userlevel=”subscriber”]£395 (Extended licence: £795)[/restrict]
About this report
In this report we review the competitive landscape of the UK outsourced contract catering market. We review the individual operators looking at how they have performed and what factors, such as strategy or area of focus, might explain differences in performance and what the implications might be for the future.
This review is supported by detailed profiles of all the main operators and summary information on medium-sized players. The profiles include background information on the companies, historical developments and recent news, analysis of their financial performance and benchmarking against their peers, as well as our views on their prospects.
While many reports on the industry contain data and description, a critical objective for us in writing this report has been to prioritise our insights and conclusions.
Why is it useful?
The contract catering industry has been one of the leaders in the UK’s outsourcing revolution but has been impacted by recent, less certain, economic conditions.
We believe that, in order for those involved in the market to make the best decisions in this complex and changing environment, they need to have access to the best information and understanding of the trends and drivers. The aim of this report is to provide this.
It is intended for contract catering and facilities management companies themselves as well as investors, banks, analysts, consultants and other parties with interests in the sector.
What are the sources and methodology?
This report is based on
– Publicly available data including company annual reports, websites, press releases and government statistics
– Interviews with senior-level contacts in the market
– In-depth analysis of the macroeconomic environment and other relevant market drivers
Information from these sources has been synthesised and presented clearly and concisely with extensive use of charts and tables to illuminate points and support conclusions.
The UK outsourced contract catering market – 5
Overall performance of the leading group – 6
Comparison of performance – 8
Revenue per employee
Value drivers – 11
Profiles of the main operators – 12
Compass UK & Ireland
Initial Catering Services
Summary information on medium-sized competitors
Appendix – 22
List of figures (UK Contract Catering Market Report)
1. UK Outsourced Contract Catering market size / £m
2. Leading operators revenue trend / £m
3. Leading operators pre-tax profit and margin trends / £m, %
4. Employee numbers (‘000) and revenue per employee (£’000) for leading operators
5. Revenue of leading operators / £m
6. Revenue growth for leading operators (2006-10 unless stated) / % CAGR
7. Pre-tax margins for leading operators / %
8. Revenue per employee for leading operators (most recent year) / £’000
9. Compass UK & Ireland: summary financials
10. Sodexo Limited: summary financials
11. Aramark Limited: summary financials
12. Initial Catering Services: summary financials
13. Baxter Storey: summary financials
14. Avenance: summary financials
15. 7 Day Catering: summary financials
16. Harrison Catering Services: summary financials
17. Lindley Catering: summary financials
18. Cygnet Foods: summary financials
19. Lexington Catering: summary financials
20. Bartlett Mitchell: summary financials
21. Host Contract Management: summary financials