Whistl – delivery charges of £2-£4 the sweet spot

UK shoppers aren’t averse to paying for delivery for online purchases, according to the delivery management company Whistl.

The Whistl survey looked at 1,000 respondents, two thirds of whom said they would not expect free delivery when placing orders online. When the purchase price is more than £10 however, customers start expecting free delivery options.

The price range identified in the survey is between £2-£4 per delivery. However, 67% of those surveyed said that thy wouldn’t continue with an online purchase if the delivery cost was too high.

75% of respondents said that the offer of free delivery won’t affect how much they pay. The other 25% however suggested they may ‘overbuy’ to avoid delivery and return services.

If free delivery is offered, customers are prepared to wait longer. Half of the Whistl survey respondents said that they could be happy to wait 2-3 days for free delivery while 28% can wait 4-5 days.

Melanie Darvall, Director Marketing & Communications Whistl, commented: “It is clear from the research that retailers need to take into consideration how much they charge for delivery and what the minimum spend should be, as this is having a direct impact on how much people spend on online purchases or whether they buy anything at all.

“We were surprised to find that nearly a third of consumers would purposefully overbuy with the intention of sending items back, purely in order to qualify for the free delivery. The UK consumer is complex and requires bespoke delivery solutions that enable the retailers to maximise the sales opportunity without impact on profit margins.”
 
Subscribe to Newsletter
 

Share

Comments are closed.